Egg-sized brain tumors should have pushed thru his skull, but God…

brain tumors
Jason Ong.

By Michael Ashcraft —

The parents of Jason Ong assumed he would wind up in jail or dead because he was such a poorly behaved boy, fighting and often getting into trouble. But God had other plans and purposes for his life even when he faced brain tumors.

Jason met the one true living God when his dad was dying. By his father’s bedside, Jason prayed to nearly all the gods he had ever heard of and nothing happened.

But when he invoked the powerful name of Jesus, Dad opened his eyes.

“Later on, there’ll be somebody in white.” he told his dad while his eyes were open. “He will stretch out his hand, so you can just take his hand and follow him, and you’ll be safe.”

Jason didn’t know what he was saying, but his dad closed his eyes and passed peacefully. Later Jason realized he had spoken prophetically, and the Good Shepherd, Jesus, had opened heaven’s door to his father.

“Jesus, You know that You saved my dad, so I owe You my life,” he said.

When Jesus answered his prayer, he knew who the read God was. (Picture is a re-enactment.)

Jason went to church. That’s where he met Judith, a divorced mom with a special needs daughter, Joelle.

“We somehow knew that we are supposed to be together, so we prayed about it,” Jason says.

Two years into his marriage, he began experiencing dizziness and pain in his head, so he went to the doctor. The prognosis: an extremely rare brain tumor. It was so rare that there were no drugs and no protocols for treatment.

“Suddenly everything just went to darkness,” he says.

The surgeon removed 90% of it, leaving the optic nerves and main artery with a vestige of the tumor so he could still see, eat and not die from a broken artery. It was 2004.

The doctor told Jason he had six months to live.

The news was discouraging, but Jason and Judith decided to make the best of it. They decided to dedicate 100% of their efforts towards the Lord’s service. They launched a street food vendor business, working 12 hours a day, with profits destined for orphanages around Indonesia, Malaysia, Pakistan, Myanmar and the Philippines. The proceeds from the business allowed them to contribute to the care of 600 kids.

His brain tumor was so rare there were no protocols dictating its treatment.

After six months, Jason showed up to see the doctor. He was surprised to see Jason alive.

The title of Jason’s testimony video is “If Tomorrow Never Comes” on the Hope Singapore channel.

Jason outlived the six-month prognosis. In 2007, the cancer flared up again. His new doctor said it was absolutely necessary to remove all the affected areas, including the nerves to his mouth and eyes. He would be blind. He would feed through a tube. And devastatingly for Jason, he would not be able to speak.

Jason declined the surgery. He needed to speak because his life’s purpose was to preach in the orphanages to the children about the good news of Jesus. He would rather die than lose his ability to preach.

“So there wasn’t an option for me because I still have to continue in the ministry and I said, If I cannot speak, that means I cannot share the gospel, I cannot teach, I cannot preach. So what is the point?” he says.

The doctor was grim, telling him: You don’t need to come back. You’re going to die. The cancer will eventually cause your brain to explode.

Jason and his wife hawked food on the streets of Singapore to raise money for the orphans.

He took pain medications and kept hawking food on the street. He kept visiting orphanages with his wife and preaching.

“My encouragement to all the Christians was, ‘Even though I’m going to die, I still choose to stand and say God is good. I still choose to say: Jesus is my Lord,’” he relates.

By 2013, Jason sensed he was going to die. For his “last” birthday, he asked his wife to visit the orphanage once last time.

By 2014, he was bedridden and partially paralyzed. “Jesus, I’m coming home,” he declared.

But one night, Jesus spoke to him in a dream: I’m moved by the tears of your wife. I’m going to heal you.

Days later, he called the doctor to reorder morphine for the pain, and the doctor, a Christian and a medical professor, told him to come in. He got new scans and proposed another surgery. He would save the eye nerve, the voice nerve and the artery. He believed God would help him.

Dizziness and pain plagued him as he served Jesus while the tumor grew in his brain. (Picture is re-enactment for the video)

“It’s so amazing that you are still able to talk and sitting in front of me because looking at the scan, it has now grown to the size of two eggs,” the doctor told him. “One in the brain and one outside the cranium. Technically, it is supposed to have pushed your brain out of the brain cavity already. Or you should just get a coma or stroke and die. The fact that you are still alive and talking to me is a miracle.”

When Jason woke up from the surgery, he felt intense pain, couldn’t see or breathe.

“After 10 years of fighting cancer, that was my lowest point,” he says. “I just felt so tired.”

“I think I’m not gonna make it,” he told Judith. “Release me. I wanna go home.”

At midnight, Jesus came again to Jason.

“This time around his presence was so strong. Words cannot describe. It’s so holy, so awesome,” he recalls. “Although we know we are saved by His grace, we are saved by his love, we still feel so small, we still feel so unworthy because He’s just so awesome and so holy.”

singkawang indonesia orphanage
Orphans in Singkawang Indonesia, where Jason and his wife support

Jesus breathed new life into his nostrils.

When Jason woke up the next morning, he saw his wife sleeping on the couch. He realized he could see! He could sit up! He got out of bed, tried walking, and didn’t experience any dizziness!

He decided to go into the bathroom and take a shower. His wife didn’t stir.

While he was showering, he heard a commotion outside. The nurse had come in and, seeing him missing, sounded the alarm that a patient was missing.

“What patient is missing?” Jason asked when he got out of the shower.

The nurse scolded him for showering unattended. His wife was overcome with wonder.

Soon, he was released from the hospital. “I have never seen a patient recover so quickly,” the doctor told them.

About 80% of the tumor was removed in the surgery, so there’s still a chance, medically speaking, that Jason could relapse. But he’s standing on God’s promises, serving others with every ounce of strength the Lord provides.


If you want to know more about a personal relationship with God, go here

Michael Ashcraft also sells a bamboo steamer from China on Amazon.


Comments are closed.