U.S. approved Iran’s attack against Israel ‘within limits’

1
268

By Mark Ellis —

Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan (right) meeting in Indonesia with Antony Blinken

The Biden Administration approved Iran’s direct military operation against Israel as long as it was ‘within certain limits’, a Turkish diplomat told Reuters.

Iran also informed Turkey preceding its massive missile and drone attack, the same source reported.

Turkey has previously condemned Israel’s campaign in Gaza and said it did not want any further escalation of tensions in the region.

Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan said his country had acted as an intermediary, communicating with the US and Iran in the past week to discuss the planned Iranian operation, according to the source. CIA chief William Burns played a role in Turkey’s involvement.

Secretary of State Antony Blinken spoke to Fidan earlier to make clear the US was against further escalation.

“Iran informed us in advance of what would happen. Possible developments also came up during the meeting with Blinken, and they (the US) conveyed to Iran through us that this reaction must be within certain limits,” the source said.

“In response, Iran said the reaction would be a response to Israel’s attack on its embassy in Damascus and that it would not go beyond this.”

Iran wanted revenge for Israel’s strike on its Damascus consulate on April 1 that killed seven officers of the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps.

Many were shocked by the scale of Iran’s direct attack, with over 300 drones, ballistic missiles and cruise missiles fired. Thousands could have been killed if it were not for Israel and its allies’ defensive response.

Turkey’s has warned of a regional war – what some would consider World War III — if tensions escalate further.

1 COMMENT

Comments are closed.